Jess in Minneapolis
However, we probably would have managed to find our way even without their guidance, as there were blue flags marking the route, as well as flour spread on the ground occasionally to help you know where to go. (I had no idea that was the way trail runs are marked- genius!)
- Wear bug spray
- Wear older shoes that you don’t mind getting super dirty (or invest in trail shoes)
- Don’t stress about your pace! We were barely running 10 min/miles, but it felt hard. One of the experienced trail runners said to expect to add 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds to your overall pace at the half marathon.
- Hydrate! We were pretty darn sweaty even after just five miles.
- Don’t be afraid to walk the hills.
- Watch your step! It would be easy to take a serious fall on this trail.
- Watch out for wildlife! We encountered two deer that were not afraid of us at all. In fact, we got pretty darn close before they finally ran off. Hard to believe we’re still in the city!
After the Furious Five Miler, they had a drawing for a few prizes- Surly running shirts, registrations to the Loppet, etc. Kelly won a shirt! Well, actually, she won a registration to the Loppet, but she’s already registered, so they let her change her prize to a shirt.
Great event, Surly. See you next month!